The White House was placed on lockdown and staff was told to take shelter after there were gunshots reported outside the White House.
The Secret Service tweeted about noon Saturday that personnel were responding to the scene and a person “allegedly suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound along the north fence line” of the White House. The man has since died.
— Emerald Robinson (@EmeraldRobinson) March 3, 2018
No other people appeared to be injured in the incident.
The White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that President Donald Trump had been briefed on the incident.
But he was not in the residence at the time of the shooting. He, the First Lady Melania Trump and their son Barron are all currently in Florida at their Mar-a-Lago residence, although they are scheduled to return this evening to D.C. where Trump is scheduled to the attend the annual black-tie Gridiron media dinner.
The shooting occurred along the north fence of the White House near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, according to the Secret Service. Traffic was being rerouted away from the area.
Fox News showed responders on the scene but said the emergency nature of the situation appears to have ended.
— Fox News (@FoxNews) March 3, 2018
The Secret Service said that agents and medical personnel were attending to the man. It did not immediately provide any information about the circumstances of the shooting.
The identity of the man is not known yet and his condition has not yet been reported.
This is just the latest of multiple incidents involving security issues at the White House, with several people being able to jump the fence. There is no indication that this person penetrated the fence at this point.
[Note: This post was written by Nick Arama]