Why ICE canceled the largest raid in history

President Trump has established his administration based on the tough stance he took on illegal immigration both during his campaign, and while he has been in office. While he’s been having great success, there have been a few bumps in the road, too.

Recently, the Department of Homeland Security was gearing up for what would’ve been the largest nationwide roundup of illegal immigrants of its kind, targeting somewhere in the ballpark of 8,4000 people.

A wrench was thrown into those plans due to the damage caused by Hurricane Harvey, and the likely devastation that’s going to result after Hurricane Irma makes landfall.

According to NBC News:

But after NBC News reported the plans late Thursday, the agency issued a statement saying it had cancelled nationwide enforcement actions due to Hurricane Irma and the damage caused by Hurricane Harvey.

“While we generally do not comment on future potential law enforcement actions, operational plans are subject to change based on a variety of factors,” ICE spokesman Sarah Rodriguez said in a statement. “Due to the current weather situation in Florida and other potentially impacted areas, along with the ongoing recovery in Texas, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) had already reviewed all upcoming operations and has adjusted accordingly. There is currently no coordinated nationwide operation planned at this time. The priority in the affected areas should remain focused on life-saving and life-sustaining activities.”

Prior to the initial NBC News report, another spokeswoman for ICE, Jennifer Elzea, had said the agency was “not able to speculate about potential future targeted enforcement actions.”

The raids were scheduled over five days beginning Sept. 17, and were called “Operation Mega,” according to the document, a memo circulated agency-wide in August.

While it’s not at all uncommon for ICE operations to target hundreds, and even into the low thousands of illegals, the reason this operation had such a hefty number might have something to do with the Trump administration attempting to hit target numbers for its deportation goal before the end of the fiscal year, which is September 30th.

ICE had been planning this particular operation since August, with instructions given to agents to specifically set their sights on adult gang members, and individuals who have committed serious crimes. Anyone else that happened to be rounded up during the raid was to be considered “collateral.”

This particular operation was not going to target juveniles for deportation.

President Trump has had great success with his immigration policies, putting a huge dent in the brutally violent MS-13 gang, as well as slowing down illegal immigration at the border by a significant margin.

He’s proving once again that America is a nation of laws, and if you want to enjoy the liberty we have, you must follow the rules.

[NOTE: This article was written by Michael Cantrell. Follow him on Twitter @MCantrell0928 and on Facebook]

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of