BAM! Trump SLAMS the door on another Obama immigration policy

With the news media focusing almost exclusively on everything negative about President Trump (both real and imagined), the steady stream of good economic news and the growing list of Obama-era policies he’s undoing easily gets lost in the shuffle — if covered at all.

But that doesn’t change the fact that Trump is fulfilling campaign promises to end Obama policies, administrative directives and executive orders at a breakneck pace.

From shredding climate change accords to repealing rogue EPA regulations, Trump has vigorously been about the business of undoing Obama policies. This week, he took down a frequent target of his campaign rhetoric: reeling in Obama’s ‘magnet-and-open-door’ immigration policy.

Fox News reports that Trump has slammed the brakes on the 2014 “C.A.M (Central American Minors) Parole” program:

“The Trump administration on Wednesday shut down yet another Obama-era program — this one created to give Central American minors fleeing poverty and gang violence in their homeland temporary legal status in the United States.

The “CAM parole” program was established in 2014 in response to a surprise spike in the number of unaccompanied minors and families entering the country from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. The program allowed minors who did not make the cut for “refugee status” to enter the U.S. on a two-year, renewable parole if they had a parent already legally in the country.

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, which oversaw the project, 1,465 minors have been granted entry under the parole program. Another 2,714 people had been conditionally approved to enter the U.S. but have now lost the opportunity.

The program’s future seemed to be in jeopardy in February when the Department of Homeland Security froze it — saying it was under internal review as part of a wave of executive orders Trump signed during his first few weeks in office.

The program’s termination was announced in the federal register.

J. Kevin Appleby, a senior director at the Center for Migration Studies, described the end of the program as “mean-spirited,” and said it hurt “really vulnerable” children.

Abbleby told The Washington Post that shutting the door on the program was just one more tactic used by the Trump administration to turn away immigrants.

“It’s the drip, drip, drip of Trump trying to eliminate protection programs,” Appleby said.”

It’s not a drip, drip, drip, Mr. Appleby; it’s an all-out flood. Trump ran on cleaning our fiscal act up and putting American priorities and citizens first. It’s clear the president doesn’t believe it’s in the best interest of the American taxpayer to continually foot the bill for bringing residents of other nations here — feeding, housing and educating them — while there are U.S. citizens sleeping under bridges and the country is $20 trillion in debt.

People can agree or disagree with his immigration policy — but no one can dispute that he’s doing what he promised.

[NOTE: This article was written by Derrick Wilburn, Founder and Chairman of the Rocky Mountain Black Conservatives, and a speaker, author, columnist and analyst for multiple print and broadcast media outlets. Follow him on Facebook and at RMBlackConservatives.com.]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here