There’s been a rise in independent conservative media outlets as of late, whether it be the televised One America News Network, or the online shows coming out of The Blaze, Compound Media, The Rebel and CRTV among others.
Previously, Fox News had been the only name in town – and clearly there have been more than a few shakeups there as of late. Roger Ailes and Bill O’Reilly hit the road following sexual harassment allegations made public, and talent including Megyn Kelly, Andrea Tantaros, and Gretchen Carlson (who all reported being victims of Ailes’ harassment) also left the network. Jesse Waters could be the next one out, promptly announcing a “vacation” after a joke he made about Ivanka Trump (that critics understandably interpreted as sexual innuendo – which Waters denies). O’Reilly also announced an abrupt vacation prior to the show that would end up being his last.
With all the turmoil at Fox, will a new player in conservative media step in to exploit it? Well, yes according to Mediaite,
On the heels of major shakeups at the Fox News Network, an alternative conservative network is being actively discussed amongst conservative fat cats.
A well-placed source close to the proposal tells Mediaite that serious discussions are underway to create an alternative conservative cable network on the belief that the Fox News Network is moving too far to the left. The source, who is engaged in the talks, says a meeting is planned for today with two prominent high-powered television executives, some underperforming conservative networks and people who have an interest and the ability to fund a new network.
The potential aim? Putting “the old band” back together. There are certainly plenty of (out-of-work?) conservative powerhouses to pick from that could star on a new network, and perhaps even some executives from within Fox News who might be lured by the new opportunity. Could the new channel include stars like the ousted Bill O’Reilly, who didn’t waste much time hitting the podcast waves after he was fired amid a sexual harassment scandal? Could Tomi Lahren, the conservative mega star, who was recently sidelined at The Blaze also take on a prominent role? The exact “who” won’t be clear until the deal is more defined but the source says the pitch is that the network could immediately reach at least 85 million homes.
On Thursday, New York Magazine‘s Gabe Sherman, a constant thorn in the side of Fox News, reported that “sweeping management changes” may be coming to the network as well. Sherman’s report cited three anonymous sources that contend that the network’s co-President Bill Shine recently asked the Murdoch sons to release a statement in support of him amid the roiling lawsuits and scandals. Both Fox News and 21 Century Fox have vigorously denied that Shine made such a request but the report by Sherman prompted a rather mysterious tweet about the “total end of the FNC as we know it” by the network’s biggest remaining star, Sean Hannity:
Gäbe i pray this is NOT true because if it is, that's the total end of the FNC as we know it. Done. Best Sean https://t.co/W3BJ2wjzRD
— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) April 27, 2017
Maybe Greta van Susteren can be rescued from the clutches of MSNBC as well. Stay tuned…
[Note: This post was authored by Matt Palumbo. Follow him on Twitter @MattPalumbo12]