We must begin this report by saying this has NOTHING to do with Islam or the refugee problem in Europe. Opening the borders of the EU to anyone seeking refuge is absolutely the right and humane thing to do. Now that we have that out of the way…
Europe is currently in the midst of the Champions League soccer (football) series, with regional teams traveling around the continent for matches – the quarter finals at the moment. One of Germany’s teams, Borussia Dortmund, was scheduled to play Monaco last night, but the game was postponed after the team bus was apparently the target of an Islamist attack.
Per The Telegraph, Borussia Dortmund’s team bus was hit by three explosions while on its way to the Champions League quarter-final first leg match against Monaco on Tuesday evening, leaving one player injured in hospital.
German security sources said it was a targeted attack on the team bus, shattering one of the vehicle’s windows. Police said “serious explosive devices” were used.
There were reports the devices, which were concealed in a hedge, could have detonated by a mobile phone or a garage door-opening device.
As of today, suspects are in custody.
The Telegraph now reports, An Islamist suspect has been arrested over three explosions that rocked the Borussia Dortmund football team bus, prosecutors have revealed as they confirmed the investigation was examining a possible “terrorist link”.
Investigators said that two alleged Islamic extremists are the focus of the attack probe and that one has been detained following searches of their apartments.
A letter found at the scene “in the name of Allah”, which claims responsibility and reportedly referred to the Berlin Christmas market attack, makes an “Islamic extremist motive possible”, they confirmed.
Three devices – which were studded with metal pins and might have been hidden in a hedge – were detonated as the Dortmund squad were travelling to the Signal Iduna Park stadium for Tuesday’s Champions League quarter-final first leg.
According to German media, a letter found near the scene referred to 2016’s attack on a Berlin market and began: “In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.”
The letter also named Angela Merkel and mentioned Germany’s deployment of Tornado reconnaissance missions as part of an international coalition battling Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil), according to local media.
But once again, remember this has NOTHING to do with Islam. And just to make the point, we’ll include the following list of recent attacks, but truly there’s nothing to see here:
19 December 2016 – Berlin: A truck ploughed into a crowded Christmas market in central Berlin on Monday evening, killing 12 people and injuring 48 others, some seriously.
24 July 2016 – Ansbach: A 27-year-old Syrian who was due to be deported blew himself up outside a bar in Ansbach, wounding 15 people, in what authorities said was “likely” to have been an Islamist attack.
22 July 2016 – Munich: Ali David Sonboly, a German teenager of Iranian descent, shot dead nine people in Munich, before turning the gun on himself.
18 July 2016 – Wurzburg: 17-year-old Afghan refugee attacked passengers on a train in Wurzburg using an axe and a knife. Five people were wounded before he was shot dead by police. The interior minister said a hand-drawn Isil flag was found in his room.
10 May 2016 – Grafing: A German man allegedly shouted “Allahu Akbar” as he stabbed one person to death and slashed three others at a railway station in Grafing, a commuter town near Munich.
26 February 2016 – Hannover: 15-year-old girl known only as “Safia S” under German privacy laws allegedly seriously injured a police officer in a stabbing said to have been inspired by Isil. She is currently on trial over the incident in Hannover.
17 September 2015 – Berlin: Police shot dead an Islamist after he attacked a female police officer with a knife in Berlin. Iraqi-born Rafik Yousef was previously jailed for his involvement in a plot to kill a former Iraqi prime minister.
2 March 2011 – Frankfurt: Two US Air Force servicemen who were due to travel to Afghanistan were killed by a Kosovan gunman at Frankfurt Airport. Arid Uka, who grew up in Germany, said in his trial that he had been radicalized by online jihadist propaganda videos.
But honestly, it’s all fine and luckily no one in this latest incident was seriously injured. So we can all gather ’round the campfire for another helping of s’mores while singing “Kumbaya” and drive away in our cars with the “Coexist” bumper stickers.
[Note: This article was written by Michele Hickford]