President Trump’s executive order suspending visa entry from seven Muslim-majority countries (Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Libya, Sudan and Yemen) for 120 days, while suspending refugee admissions for four months and indefinitely banned those from war-torn Syria has had immediate effect.
Customs officials began detaining travelers within hours of the signing, and other travelers were being stopped from boarding U.S.-bound flights.
So far, according to Fox News, immigration lawyers have already filed suit on behalf of two Iraqi citizens who were detained at New York’s Kennedy Airport on Friday.
In Cairo, airport officials prevented seven U.S.-bound migrants — six from Iraq and one from Yemen — from boarding an EgyptAir flight to New York.
The officials said the seven migrants, escorted by officials from the U.N. refugee agency, were stopped from boarding the plane after authorities at Cairo airport contacted their counterparts at JFK.
On of the countries on that list is not taking this lying down: Iran.
UPDATE via Reuters: Iran said on Saturday it would stop U.S. citizens entering the country in retaliation to Washington’s visa ban against Tehran and six other majority-Muslim countries announced by new U.S. President Donald Trump.
“While respecting the American people and distinguishing between them and the hostile policies of the U.S. government, Iran will implement the principle of reciprocity until the offensive U.S. limitations against Iranian nationals are lifted,” a Foreign Ministry statement said.
“The restrictions against travel by Muslims to America… are an open affront against the Muslim world and the Iranian nation in particular and will be known as a great gift to extremists,” said the statement, carried by state media.
We’re awaiting a response from President Trump. You know he will…
[Note: This article was written by Michele Hickford]