In yet another example of Obama’s keen battlefield strategy of drawing down troops in Afghanistan, we must now report of yet two more fatalities.
As USA Today reports, Two members of the international Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan were killed Saturday in an attack on a base in southern Afghanistan, NATO announced.
According to a NATO statement, two Afghans wearing the uniforms of the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) opened fire Saturday morning at an ANDSF compound. Other Resolute Support members returned fire and killed the shooters, the statement said.
The nationalities of the victims were not announced.
As we reported in January, the Taliban now control more territory in Afghanistan than they have since 2001. Obama’s strategy of drawing down U.S. troops hinges on a strong Afghan security force, but today’s attack underscores what a fantasy that is.
About 7,000 members of the Afghan security forces had been killed this year, and 12,000 injured — that’s a 26 percent increase over the total number of dead and wounded in all of 2014. Added to that, it’s difficult to keep anyone fighting. Attrition rates are high, and deserters and injured Afghan soldiers say they’re fighting a more sophisticated and well-armed insurgency than they’ve seen before.
In October of last year, while Obama was holding court at the U.N. the Taliban were busy taking the major Afghanistan city of Kunduz. It was an ominous sign that Afghanistan was beginning to slip into the same morass we now know as Iraq.
As Col. West wrote at the time…remember, Obama declared “combat operations ended” in Afghanistan. However, there are only two ways to end a war, battle, conflict, skirmish — you win or you lose. You don’t make a unilateral declaration that you quit. And to say America has withdrawn all combat troops from Afghanistan — well, tell that to the Special Forces soldiers who came to the rescue in Kunduz.
Let me explain, if you’re deployed into a combat zone — and Afghanistan is still a combat zone — you’re in combat. If people are still shooting, combat operations have not ended. Let me repeat myself here: to think, believe — or worse, say — anything to the contrary is, well, dumb.
There’s another void being created. Ask yourself, will Obama learn a lesson from Iraq? Or is a campaign promise more important — after all, gotta fill up that billion-dollar presidential library with exhibits. And one will be the “end of combat in Afghanistan” exhibit. Perhaps that exhibit belongs in Disneyland, in a new section of the park called “Fantasyland.”
The American commander on the ground, General Campbell, has requested troops not be drawn down further. General Lloyd Austin IV asked the same for Iraq when he was the commander on the ground in Iraq. He requested 10,000-15,000 troops and Obama said no.
Combat troops are still in Afghanistan because Afghanistan is still a combat zone. The Taliban are dressing up in Afghan uniforms and shooting NATO soldiers.
Folks, this is becoming the repetitive story in combat zones abandoned by Barack Obama. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing and expect different results. In simple southern lexicon we just call it dumb.