BREAKING: Brussels on high alert; police make AGGRESSIVE move…

Just hours after the Belgian Federal Prosecutor’s issued a warrant for the man suspected of fleeing the Brussels airport after his accomplices blew themselves up, he was in custody.

Score one for the good guys.

Fox News reports Faycal Cheffou had been taken into custody after police raided his home.


Police found no weapons or explosives during the search of his home, prosecutors said.

The Daily Mail reports Cheffou he has been charged with ‘involvement in a terrorist group, terrorist killings and attempted terrorist killings’.

Belgium media reports suggest Cheffou, a freelance journalist, is the third bomber pictured walking through Brussels Airport before the attacks with Ibrahim El Bakraoui and Najim Laachraoui. However that has not been confirmed by Belgian prosecutors.


But one source close to the investigation, said: ‘That is a hypothesis the investigators are working on.’

Reports in the Belgian media also say that the taxi driver who took the suicide bombers to the airport on Tuesday morning has said he believes the man wearing the white jacket and hat is Cheffou.

Cheffou lived in a small studio in an apartment building just 500 metres from Maelbeek metro station, De Morgen reported.

Cheffou, thought to be a freelance journalist, is known to the authorities for drugs and violence, the paper claimed.

In one video recorded in 2014, he is seen reporting outside a center for asylum seekers in Belgium. Yhe footage shows him criticizing authorities for serving meals to the asylum seekers when Muslims were trying to fast during Ramadan.

It is also said his sister reported him to police in 2014 saying she was worried he was planning to go to Syria but was ‘waiting the right moment’.

Le Soir reports that the mayor of Brussels Yvan Mayeur described Cheffou as a danger.

He was given a restraining preventing him entering the park to speak the refugees in September 2015, the paper added.

The question that must be answered however, is if these terrorists were already on the radar screen, what broke down in the system that allowed them to get this far with their plans? We can breathe a small sigh of relief that the suspects are being apprehended, but as we reported earlier this week, there are still at least several hundred more at large. Small comfort then that we’ve got one.

[Note: This article was written by Michele Hickford]


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here