We’ve heard this before – liberals threatening to leave the country and renounce their U.S. citizenship if a Republican takes the White House. It happened in 2000 during the election of George W. Bush. Sadly, there was no mass exodus of liberal progressives and in fact they seem to have multiplied like a virus.
But the possibility of a President Donald Trump has sent the liberal media (not to mention the GOP establishment) into paroxysms of horror.
As The NY Daily News says, The mere thought of President Trump taking the oath of office on Jan. 20, 2017, has already led to threats from U.S. citizens that they would leave our red, white and blue borders behind if The Donald reaches The White House.
Left-leaning Americans have been threatening to leave the country since Trump announced his candidacy last summer with a hate-filled, derogatory speech in which he called Mexicans rapists and drug dealers.
[Uh, no actually he called the Mexican rapists and drug dealers, rapists and drug dealers – but details don’t matter]
The New York Daily News helpfully provides this list of the best countries to which liberals can plan their escapes. It’s pretty hilarious:
1. Most well-rounded: Singapore. Oh really? Singapore bans chewing gum, homosexual acts may lead to imprisonment and the death penalty has been used for narcotics offenses. The Rattan Cane is a legally sanctioned form of punishment and is often employed for over 30 types of offence, such as robbery, breaking and entering, assault, rape, living off the earnings of prostitution, vandalism etc.
2. Cheapest: Ecuador. Hmm, might want to reconsider as the Bureau of Diplomatic Security says Ecuador is rated Critical for crime and for residential security by the State Department. Crime is the most significant, serious concern, especially in larger cities. Crimes against U.S. citizens in the past year have ranged from petty theft to violent offenses, including armed robbery, express kidnapping, and sexual assault. Very low rates of apprehension and conviction of criminals – due to limited police and judicial resources – contribute to Ecuador’s high crime rate. Police coverage is sparse outside major urban areas.
3. Safest; Austria. Really? Austria just launched a massive ad campaign begging migrants from Aghanistan to stay home.
4. Most American non-American country: Mexico. Oh great, I wonder how happy Mexico will be to receive illegal immigrants? Back-atcha!
5. Most “cliché’” country: Canada. Yes, everyone is flocking to Canada. Cape Breton Island has in fact started a website to welcome Trump haters with the tempting offer that “Muslim people can roam freely,” and “nobody has a hand gun.” Wow! What a marketing slogan THAT is!
So far, the list of liberal progressives promising to leave includes Whoopi Goldberg, Samuel L. Jackson, Jon Stewart, Jennifer Lawrence and Al Sharpton (who inexplicably worries Trump would deport him – for what? Tax evasion?). What an amazing thought!
Of course we’re looking to a GOP win to start reversing the damage Barack Obama has wrought during his two-term nightmare. But what an awesome side benefit if a few mealy-mouthed, mouthy liberals decide to self-deport as well.
[Note: This article was written by Michele Hickford]