In our continuing series of Islamophobic sightings across this fruited plain, we bring you the recent arrests/convictions of “homegrown” jihadists. Lone wolves? Random? You be the judge!
In New York, Fox News reports that three residents of the Big Apple were arrested for plotting to travel to Syria and wage jihad. One of those arrested also offered to kill the president, if ordered to do so.
The Brooklyn residents were identified as Abdurasul Hasanovich Juraboev, 24, a citizen of Uzbekistan; Akhror Saidakhmetov, 19, citizen of Kazakhstan; and Abror Habibov, 30, a citizen of Uzbekistan.
According to Fox, “Saidakhmetov was arrested early Wednesday at John F. Kennedy International Airport as he tried to board a plane headed to Istanbul, authorities said. Juraboev had plane tickets for March 29 and Habibov helped fund Saidakhmetov’s trip, the complaint said.”
“The two had hopes of joining the terror group and–if their travel plans were dashed– had intentions to commit terror in the U.S., the complaint said. Juraboev allegedly offered to kill the president if given the orders from ISIS. Saidakhmetov–if prevented from joining the terror group– wanted to purchase a machine gun and shoot law enforcement, the complaint said.”
Over on the west coast, two men living in Southern California were sentenced to 25 years in prison for planning to commit “violent jihad” against American troops in Afghanistan.
According to the Los Angeles Times, “Ralph Deleon, 26, a citizen of the Philippines who lived in Ontario, and Sohiel Omar Kabir, 37, an Afghanistan-born American citizen, were convicted in September after a nearly seven-week trial.”
“A jury found the men guilty of conspiring to provide material support to terrorists and conspiring to murder U.S. military personnel as well as government personnel.”
According to Patch.com, U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips said Kabir “had been given every break” after his family fled to the U.S. as refugees and were given asylum.
“He is an example of someone who betrayed the hospitality extended to him by this country,” Phillips said.
But hey, lets open up those borders and let EVERYONE in, right?
Two other men, Miguel Alejandro Santana Vidriales and Arifeen David Gojali previously pleaded guilty in connection with 2012 case. They are scheduled to be sentenced March 16.
The Times says, “In a handwritten letter to the court, Deleon said his actions were senseless.”
“I am ready to face the consequences for my actions, which were senseless,” he wrote. “I have no excuse for my actions and believed I was following the correct version of Islam, which is extreme and radical.”
Wait, so I’m confused. Which part of his actions were senseless, if he was indeed following the correct version of Islam, which is extreme and radical?
And that wraps up our latest installment of “Connect The Dots Islamophobia-style.”
Tune in next time for more views from our high horse.